Living above suspicion will give you joy – Sen Emodi

By Emmanuel Aziken, Political Editor

Senator Joy Emodi, widely hailed as the Joy of the Senate on account of the leverage and lucidity she brought to bear in her representation of her constituents during her stint in the Senate in this interview ahead of her 60th birthday penultimate Saturday spoke on her lessons on life and politics. Excerpts:























Did you just stumble into politics or has it always been a passion?
At the University of Nsukka then, we had only two hostels for ladies and I could remember that I stood for election and became the Hall Chairman of my hall, ‘Balewa Hall’. The reason I went for that position was because there were a few policies that did not go down well with undergraduates in my hall. That was why I contested the election and was able to effect those changes in that hall. That was how I developed interest in politics and joined the student wing of Aminu Kanu’s PRP.

Emodi: I am propelled by the desire to serve
So, I was first a student activist. And honestly, when I joined politics, I never knew I was going to stand for any election. I thought I would just be there supporting other people. We were in politics then as students because of the manifestoes from various political parties. We didn’t know then that you should be in politics to make money. The PRP’s manifesto was talking about how to use the instruments of government to better the lots of the people, about an egalitarian society. We were young and were taken by the manifesto. We were even contributing our pocket money.
Well, at the end of the day I got married, forgot about politics then later, I found myself back into politics, still driven by the same principles of using instruments of government to better the lots of the people.
I was in the Congress for National Consensus- CNC during the General Abacha transition programme. We had some patriotic Nigerians who impacted my political life positively. We had Dr. Olusola Saraki, Senator Barnabas Gemade, Prof. Jubril Aminu, Dr. Abel Ubeku, etc. An executive was put in place and I found myself as the National Legal Adviser. I was still young then, but these gentlemen believed in me.
By the way, I met them at the 1994/95 Constitutional Conference. I was not given the opportunity to win the election to the Conference. Some people were against me going to Abuja for the Conference, but the people at the grassroots insisted. With little or nothing, I beat my opponent. They were busy throwing money around, but I was only cooking food and at the end of the day, I won my election with not less than 70 per cent.
But, when I went to the Constitutional Conference, I worked so hard. I have always believed in the saying that, “Caesar’s wife must be above suspicion”. I told myself, I must not make any mistake and must not be seen where I ought not to be seen. If not, as a young lady, a lot of stories will start going round. That was how Dr. Saraki discovered me at the Constitutional Conference and brought me into their association. He supported me and we had proper election and I won to be the National Legal Adviser of their organization, CNC.
It was in that process we were looking for candidates for election that Prof. Jubril Aminu pointed that I had potentials and would be a very good candidate for governorship and that it will be good for the party to put me forward. He supported me and talked to Prince Arthur Eze to assist me. I was almost there before the death of the then Head of State, General Sani Abacha. I was already coasting home to victory because my party in Anambra state had already taken over the entire House of Representative seats, Chairmanship of local governments, etc. We won overwhelmingly. Few weeks to governorship election, the Head of State died. May his soul rest in peace. I would have been the first female governor in this Country, but the whole exercise was swept away.
At that time, my opponents asked if an Igbo woman became the governor, who would be breaking the kolanut. I told them that I would appoint a commissioner for kola breaking and that settled the mischief.
When it was time for the Senatorial election, they felt a woman should not be given the opportunity to join the Senate. They didn’t believe I was going to win. They were fighting me, but I was determined. They felt that no Igbo lady had done it before, why must it be me. But I insisted and at the end of the day, I won my election. My mandate was taken away and given to somebody who didn’t stand for election. But at the end of the day, I got back my mandate and became the first Igbo woman to be a Senator. I am excited about it because it gave others the opportunity and confidence to come out.
You were once a Special Adviser to the President on National Assembly Matters. What was the experience like?
I must tell you that I enjoyed my job because I had a formidable team that I was working with. I enjoyed the trust of the National Assembly Members. That was why throughout my tenure, they were so corporative. And throughout the two years, we didn’t loose a single Bill. Except one ministerial nominee that was not able to make it, due to local politics in his State, everything went smoothly. I remain grateful to the leadership of the National Assembly.
Even though there were some controversies and distractions coming from some busy bodies around Mr. President, we both didn’t allow that to affect our relationship. I was the Special Adviser to Mr. President, but there were so many other ‘special advisers’ moving all over the National Assembly, complicating simple matters.
There was a time they told Mr. President not to come to the National Assembly for presentation of budget. It was funny because I didn’t see any reason why he should not come for the presentation of budget that he would be booed. I insisted he must come and I did my homework with the Members of the House of Representatives and the leadership. The President eventually came and could not believe what he saw. They were so cooperative and while he was making the presentation, he was applauded. So, what he was initially told was a lie. In fact, they felt I should be the one to present the budget, but I said that it would not happen during my tenure. If that had happened, honestly, I would have resigned on my own. He eventually presented it. But sadly, the President didn’t present budget in person again since I left.
What advise do you have for the present generation of politicians, especially women?
My advise to politicians is to respect the other person’s view. Avoid desperation. It gives one negative drive. And again for ladies, know that Caesar’s wife must be above suspicion. What a man can do and get away with, you can do and never get away with it. If you want to join politics, join it for the principle, that principle must be to help. Women are more compassionate.
At 60, what kept you looking so young?
What has kept me looking calm every time is the spirit of contentment, not being desperate about anything
Distinguished, if you had the opportunity to do your epitaph, what would that be?
I would write “Here rests a woman who contributed the most she could to make the world more beautiful and meaningful than she met it” or just “To God be the glory” because I think that I have lived a fulfilled life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Highlight

My life under threat

 The human right activist, convener of #revolutionnow and formal presidential candidate in Nigeria,

Major news of all time